Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Working Stiff


As a member of corporate America, I don't mind being required to wear a suit to work everyday. At the beginning it was expensive to accumulate a good number so that I could rotate on a daily basis. After a few months, however I've amassed enough to get me through a few weeks. It feels completely natural to wear heels, pants or a skirt, and a jacket, especially in this atmosphere.

Once the atmosphere changes, however, so does my outlook on the clothes I wear. We had a reception at Dream Lounge for an employee hoilday party. The bar was very hip and trendy; I wasn't a fan of neither the lounge's nor the hotel's take on this image. The lounge had bold stripes on the wall that continued on the floor and the ceiling. It was waaay too psychadelic for my taste, but once the lights were dimmed and the candles were lit it was a bit more toned down. The hotel lobby had nude sketches on the walls, mirrors, metal, dark wood, and this huge cylindrical fish tank - totally random and not aesthetically pleasing at all. Making me feel even more stiff were the cocktail waitresses and bartenders - jeans, Uggs, short skirts, tiny tops, knee high boots, etc. Much more "casual" than I could ever be at work.

Eek! Scary

It just makes me wonder what life would be like right now if I had decided to work at a boutique hotel firm either as a front desk agent or a salesperson. I'd be able to wear comfy or cool clothes to work, but would I be happy? Would the job fit me as well as this one does? Would my hours be just as long?

Second guessing my decisions is in my nature, but in this case it's really unnecessary. I'm happy where I am.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's always fun to play the "what if" game and second guess ourselves. but i'm glad to know that you, like me, find yourself content where you ended up.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home