Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Man

I miss having quiet time. I miss having time to think. I miss the imagination that free time affords a person. I miss writing. I miss blogging. I am missing all these things because I'm working for "the man."

Corporate America has its benefits and its drawbacks. For starters, it provides me with a steady paycheck. There are some perks - cars home after working late at night, free dinner after working past a certain time (or if I happen to have an event and I have time to sit down and eat), comraderie among (some) of my coworkers, getting special treatment at new venues (on occasion), etc. Each of these perks has a price though the greatest of which is my time.

Working in a department with a ton of turnover and an odd schedule (Normal workday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.; Event workday: any time they need you to be there) causes someone like me to put in extra hours. I'll have to wait and see if there is a payoff at the end.

I would love to start my own business, but obviously cannot do so until I have capital. I won't have capital until I save enough from working. Working for the man is a necessary, but important evil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home