Thursday, December 29, 2005

I love tourists, but some just need to be shot in the head.

I cannot express how crowded it is around my building this week. We are located in tourist central. There are hoards of people crawling through Times Square mindlessly gawking up at all the shining advertisements and flickering lights. There are masses of people congregating at Rockefeller Center, once again staring at the twinkle of the Christmas tree above. I understand that tourists are integral to the city's economy. I understand that many of them come from places that don't have buildings as tall or sights as glitsy as ours. I appreciate that they want to visit this lovely city. I am a fellow traveller and I understand what it is like to be in a new place and want to make the most of the experience. There are just some things that I cannot tolerate.

I do not appreciate when tourists just stand in the middle of the sidewalk and loiter. I especially hate it when the tourist in front of me stops short for no particular reason at all. Why, oh why, do tourists think it's ok to take a picture anywhere they please? I suppose tourists only bother me for one reason. I know where I'm going and they get in my way. They make a walk that should only be 5 minutes into a 15 minute stress fest.

Tourists, listen up! New Yorkers get a bad rap for being rude. Perhaps it is because we have no qualms about mauling you over when you stand in our way. We mean nothing by this seemingly aggressive act. Really. It's just our natural instinct taking over. There is one simple solution to this misunderstanding. Whenever you want to stop walking, MOVE TO THE SIDE and GET OUT OF MY WAY! I implore you, please move to the side so that I can get to where I want to be. Point and stare all you want, but stop delaying my trip because you're on a leisurely stroll. I'm going somewhere and you're in my way so I will do whatever I need to do to get through the crowd, even if that means moving you to the side, where you should have been in the first place. So please, do not make my natural instincts appear and move to the side so I no longer have to shove you out of the way. I take no pleasure in this. I don't even notice half the time so please move to the side and let me through.

At least I can garner some humor from the tourists almost getting run over by cabbies because they don't know how to cross the street.

1 Comments:

Blogger ButterSnatch said...

I lived & worked in London for 3 years, and I felt the same way about the fucktard tourists. What's with the whole stopping in the middle of the sidewalk mid-stride?!?

I appreciate tourists, and know that they are a necessary evil, but come on people!!!

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home